Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Tapas Tuesday: Smash! by Sarah


Now that I have headed back to school (to teach), the idea of a crisp, refreshing adult beverage is very appealing to me when five o'clock rolls around.  As I am a huge fan of seasonal fruit, fresh herbs, and whiskey, the article "Smashed" I found in Bon Appetit magazine caught my attention immediately. It has wonderful recipes for all kinds of "smashes", including the traditional whiskey smash.  I loved the way the recipes incorporated the seasonal fruit and herbs with a wild and crazy twist, such as honey, lime, and fresh sage in the Chartreuse Smash, or strawberries, cucumber, and balsamic vinegar in the Strawberry-Balsamic Smash. In Memphis, you could definitely use local honey, herbs, and some fruit.  Here is the recipe for a classic whiskey smash:


Mash 7 fresh mint leaves, 1 lemon half, quartered lengthwise, and 1 Tbsp. Simple Syrup in a mixing glass or a cocktail shaker 4-5 times just to release the juices and oils.  Add 1/4 cup whiskey (I prefer Jack Daniels.) Transfer to an Old Fashioned glass.  Fill halfway with crushed (very important that it is crushed,) stir, and then mound more crushed ice on top.  Garnish with mint sprigs.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment