Thursday, May 31, 2012

Southern Thursday: McCarty Pottery


There are few tangible things that I love more than McCarty Pottery from Merigold, Mississippi.  My McCarty collection is obscene, and my mother and sister are equally obsessed collectors.  My favorite day trip is a ride into the middle of nowhere in the Mississippi Delta to Merigold "where the magic happens."  Made from Mississippi mud, the signature of McCarty is the Mississippi River that is portrayed in most of the pieces ranging from plates, mugs, goblets, platters, canisters, candlesticks, figurines, moon chimes, and vases.

McCarty Pottery has been around since the 1950s, but this Southern Hostess did not know about it until I received my first piece of McCarty pottery during my freshman year at Ole Miss in 1997 - after that, I was hooked, obsessed, in love. All of my plates and bowls are McCarty-  I use McCarty everyday!

Visiting Merigold is the best way to see the entire collection for purchase. I go to McCarty three to four times a year to stock up on gifts for others and for myself!  Once you are finished shopping, you can walk out and enjoy the beautiful garden at McCarty.  Make sure you meet Lee McCarty when you stop by - he's a sweet, sweet man!  Treat yourself to a fun day trip to the Mississippi Delta!  I'm looking forward to my next trip there with my Southern Hostess bestie Sarah in a couple of weeks!

1 comment: